PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The end of the J-visa.
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2008, 03:39
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which school in Aus is conducting JAA rotary training? I was under the impression that the only JAA (rotary) schools outside JAA-land were in the USA?
HeliWest based at Jandakot airport next to/close to Perth, Australia were recently advertising for Chief FI for their plans with JAA rotary training. As from their website, it looks like they'd use WAAC for JAA ATPL theory/ground on a contract (since they do JAA planks ATPL) and HeliWest would do flying. It's been mentioned by me on another thread. Just search it. Dunno direct link... Sounds painless when they kickstart it and richer guys can afford integrated rotary in OZ..

Sorry guys, my previous post were quite a rant. I can be bit emotional. No sign of booze. I'm flying too often and don't drink much in general. Not a good habit to have. Might change my mind if I ever go planks bush flying though :-/
I'm like a beatnik writer sometimes. One might have to be on the same 'wavelength' or read it again.

Btw, somehow the same wording of 'statement of intent to bla blah' were used at the beginning of the idea to cut it to 18 months etc. the link I gave has links to some pdf docs with the official letter swapping. Didn't happen. Though it seems that even before they stopped approving more schools for J1 visas, they somehow denied Quantum Helicopters in AZ - their application for J1 issuing rights.
Let's leave it to AOPA, HAI, integrated JAA schools and Patrick Corr's charm and persuasive/lobbying skills.

The worst scenario for heli wannabes is to come on M1, do all the training up to CFI and then return on F1, paying some community college, ERAU or UVSC for Associate degree, have some credit hours waived due to certs/ratings and work part-time instructing in the school, as it's 'on-campus' technically. Still, very limiting and time consuming since the school has to hire the guy/gal and no 'externship' ie going to some small heli school that's just hiring with original school's J1 visa 'administered' still by it (complying to rules) There's also the OPT, temporary work visa in the discipline that can be authorised by the college/Uni to get experience in the field. Not sure it's worth 'wasting' at least 12k USD on AAS/AS degree just to have F1 plus other living costs and limited options.

RE: singular, plural and non-native speakers
There's too many exceptions to rules EN students don't know and natives have the feeling but can't explain it or give a definition.
Snob plurals, mutated plurals (umlaut), discretionary plurals, plurals in singular form, irregular plurals, words with two plural versions, French, Latin exceptions and English deviations to the original plurals (also due to using them 'in English grammar way') different context meanings, ay ay ay....

From my experience, there are far too many native speakers in the UK or US who can't spell correctly - websites, papers, everywhere. Even huge billboard ads with 5 words of which one screwed up..
Sorry guys, but that looks kinda redneckish to me -far more than someone using English as second or third language making trivial mistakes.

RE: 1000TT R22/S300 CFIing relevance, well even if not insurance reasons, it's still experience. and it's P1. Self-funding JAA ME IR(R) after rotary CPL is nice, but will get P2 time, so not best for jobhunting after NS without becoming captain first. That's what folks in the know write on PPRuNe. Also North Sea may not be the only option after CPL and instructing, though likely in Europe.

As for sponsorships and CPL 'cadet schemes', look at Bond in UK recently. Quite in demand even when part self-funded.
North Sea is virtually the only chance in the UK for fresh CPL or even experienced instructors without turbine time. It's almost Catch-22 we 'youngsters' can't beat without military background. C'est la vie.