PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The end of the J-visa.
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2008, 07:47
Lt.Fubar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheVelvetGlove
Always wondered, where DO you guys get all that cash for US training? Seems like every one of you shows up with a mountain of it. Did most of you earn it, or are your parents just very generous?
I for one am getting masters in engineering, to get a decent paid job - as recently, not so many people in UK and Germany thought about working in that field Just to rise enough money to do what I want - and that is flying rotorcrafts.

J-1 is useful as it allow to train, and than work in the same environment for short period of time - thus giving young pilots ability to learn more than what he can get from simple CPL(H) course. I believe its like driving a car. You may pass the test, get your driving license, but until you drive more on you're own, you can't say you can drive. Fresh CPL(H) pilots don't know squat about working as helicopter pilot until they do some time as one. Without J-1s, people like me, after training will have to switch visas - as I'm aware, is not so simple - or go somewhere else to finalize their learning process.

Training in the US is very tempting, as the prices in Europe are ridiculous - let's say that in US I can do PPL(H), CPL(H), IR, FI, turbine transition, mountain flying and long line operations training for the same amount of money as the simple PPL(H) cost here

Well, it's free market, and it do not like void, by the time I rise my funds there will be other possibilities to chose from, equal or better than the US with J-1. It is only pity to see US closing down without apparent reasons.