PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Build second airport in Hunter: Iemma
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 13:28
Taildragger67

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interspacial,

Welcome to PPRuNe.

My question re grouping of civilian operations was just that - a question. Thank you for your response to it.

But with respect to the detail - what I was proposing was something whereby the RAAF controllers would not constantly be having to thread fast-jets through civvy traffic; task planners would know that a certain period is mainly for civvies, and work around it. Yes you'll get delays but such one-offs might be easier to slot in than one now, two ten mins later, etc. Whether that is concentrating civvy ops or whatever, I don't know. Anyone is free to come up with a better idea.

Re parallel twy and high-speeds - I have never said that it would "solve all the problems" but I suggest that it depends on what problem you're trying to solve. If you identify the problem as being able to provide a higher flow-rate on the existing single strip and so possibly address some of the Air Commodore's concerns about airfield capacity, in a reasonably short time-frame and without having to wonder where the $$$ will come from for a new strip then I would argue that these things would go a long way to doing that.

If your problem is to effectively replace Kingsford-Smith (or even go half-way there), then you'll need to pretty much create a whole new airport, with a second runway capable of at least code D aircraft, and given the form of major infrastructure projects in Australia in recent decades I suggest both of us will be long dead before that happens.

So, the choice becomes one of the standard Aussie band-aid (quick-to-implement works) or not-in-our-lifetimes (new runway).

And you are correct, I have not thought about airspace management. I did not raise it in my earlier post. But thanks for bringing it up.

The very fact that we're even discussing the idea of using existing RAAF facilities for some civilian operations indicates that there's not much faith in getting brand-new civilian facilities up in anything like a reasonable time and so getting into bed with Ronnie in order to use his concrete, is possibly the only real way forward. If Ronnie is prepared to sleep around, then compromises will be required on both sides. If Ronnie is not, then the issue is closed anyway, no matter how sarcastic any of us choose to be.