PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Incap at 80/100 - what to do?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 07:56
Stan Woolley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
757 jetjockey

I agree with your views on this. I think you have to consider each take-off and have a look at the conditions on the day.I understand the Go minded view and generally agree with it.

Taking an airliner into the air single crew is not something I would take lightly,if this 'failure' was a QRH drill it would definitely say land at the nearest suitable airport.The incapacitated pilot may be restricting controls or about to jump on the rudder?

You may well save their life by getting them medical attention sooner.If you went from 80 kts (call it 95 after the calls) out of say Heathrow and the guy died while you were dumping (in every way)you may even find yourself in court defending your decision.

Chances are very good IMO that if you're not on the limit for takeoff and less than say V1-20 you would successfully stop the aircraft. On the Boeings all you really have to do is close the thrust levers and you'll get RTO braking for starters, then reverse will deploy the speedbrakes - it may not be textbook but it would do the job.

That having been said I'm now based at Luton and I would be much more inclined to be go minded there with its aircraft carrier type geography.

Glad to see that you are giving it serious thought - good stuff.