PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quantas jobs for UK pilots
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2008, 15:01
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
flaps, I am a British citizen. I have a passport to prove it. I've worked in Australia and I don't want to fly a regional t/prop again. Oh, my job? I don't fly a G- reg aircraft. When I left Australia, there wasn't the pilot shortage that is happening now. So, there's nothing stopping a UK citizen chancing their arm and emigrating.

The vast majority of pilots who come from OS (eg Australia or New Zealand) have thousands of hours and therefore, the UK low houred pilots aren't really going for the same job. Whose fault is it that an antipodean pilot with thousands of hours on jets gets hired by easyJet? If they couldn't fulfil the company's requirements for the licence and right of abode, they wouldn't get the job. The CAA has rules about the experience mix in airlines. How many low houred antipodean pilots are there in the UK?

Australians and New Zealand pilots are used to shifting thousands of kilometres for their first and second (and probably third) job. First job? Probably flying a C206 or something similar. However, shifting overseas isn't the easiest thing in the world and makes you far more determined to get a job.

I don't think antipodean pilots are taking all the jobs in the UK.

If you have issues with the present governments' immigration and employment laws, take it up with your local representative.