PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quantas jobs for UK pilots
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2008, 11:28
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
flapsfullretard, the '89 dispute has nothing to do with my post about the number of foreign folks flying in Australia. Most of those guys have retired, about to retire or lost their jobs when Ansett collapsed in 2001. I don't have a problem with someone flying in Australia being born OS. If they are flying in Oz, they have either an Australian or New Zealand passport or a visa, also they have a CASA licence. In every company I worked for, approx 10% were foreign born. Absolutely nothing to do with the pilots dispute. Age isn't an issue. They either turned up when their parents migrated or migrated there themselves.

I don't think there are many low houred young Australians working for airlines in the UK. Don't confuse young southern hemisphere types on a gap year holiday with permanent migrants. I could name a couple of bars in Cairns that were chock full of British backpackers. Doesn't mean they're all going to work for Qantas or Virgin Blue.

I am here because I happen to be entitled to a UK passport. Why am I entitled? My father was born in Scotland. I would bet my house that the vast majority of southern hemisphere types you are talking about have British parents or grandparents. If I tried to migrate to the UK without any ancestral ties, I couldn't. (unless I was a nurse, a doctor or some mega rich person) Australia ran the £10 tourist scheme (Assisted passage) for many years. Many British (and other European) folks took up that offer from the Australian government so that's why so many Australians have access to a UK passport.

The Emirates pilot tale is a strange one. QF long haul weren't a part of the pilots dispute. (they weren't members of the AFAP)

dj. You apply for a visa before you go. It's all on the Australian immigration website.

I am beginning to think that the original poster is a troll..... and it worked...