PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Truth About Spanish IRs
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2008, 22:09
quackers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think 'Breakbreak' raises an fair point here - if 'Porridge' was the students instructor why did he not identify /recitfy the problems his student was obviously having. During my training I came across some schools/instructors who were quite happy for me to simply burn a hole in my account, criticising but making no real effort to suggest remedies to problems. Let's not forget, these schools are running a business to make money and, therefore, some will keep the student with them as long as possible (I'm not suggesting that they all have this philosophy just 'some'). During my first IR test (which I failed) the examiner recognised that my 'scan' was incorrect and that, if he were my instructor, he could cure the problem in about four hours - why hadn't my instructor picked up on this fact? Anybody that has studied and passed the ATPL exams (which most IR students will have done) has obviously studied hard. Most will also have passed their CPL test, so they are not stupid (or 'muppets' as Porridge so eloquently puts it). Can you really blame them, if having spent all that time, money and effort, they opt to go to Spain to get the requisite IR before the three year time limit expires - most will be virtually skint by this time and at £250 to £300 per hour for twin IR training in the UK some will have no other option (aside from the cheaper cost in Spain, due to the weather you can virtually guarantee completing the course in about four weeks - definitely NOT possible in the UK . If you have to take time off from your day job this can be a very important factor as well).
You will get good and bad instructors/schools in all countries. I have personal experience in UK, USA and Spain. Just because you pay a 'lot' more in the UK doesn't necessarily equate to better instruction.