PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF to shed 2000 jobs
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2008, 23:19
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

lol. Of course they will be 'group' pilots Sherm. An excerpt from LH EBA8 says that 787s flown in QF livery will be flown under EBA8. It doesn't say 'who' but at least they'll be appropriately remunerated.

I'm not sure what the 'experience gap' is that you're talking about though!?! Boeing twins? Nope, lots of experience with those. Introduction of new aircraft? Nope, A330 and A380 in recent times. ETOPS? Nope, one of the early proponents of it. Not saying that the 777 experience isn't welcome or needed but that's a very different thing to QF not having the experience.

Rabbitwear, of course there are enough to go around and I'm sure that both J* and QF need the airframes. The question is where should they go first. It appears insane to leave old, clapped out (but highly loveable for the drivers) 767s on the 'premium' service whilst the low cost carrier upgrades from a relatively new and efficient type in the A330 to an even newer and more efficient type. Surely the return on the airframe is better by replacing the fuel guzzlers first on the premium service. As I said earlier, if the A330 isn't making money on the international services with J* but the 787 will then it'll still be a wafer thin profit. Imagine the increased profit if they replaces the 767 instead with the significantly lower costs of the 787.

What would I know though. I'm just a pilot.