PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yank in need of advice
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2008, 15:51
Chewie von Nubbins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not negative at all man, but directly to the point - and I appreciate that. Thanks for the reply. I really don't see how you guys are able to do it. The cost of your flight training in the EU is at least twice what we Yanks pay for ours, and most of the time it is almost impossible for someone here in the US to even get a full loan of the estimated $60k for complete flight training. Then, the loan repayments typically require a monthly payback of anywhere between $600-$800 per month. Even when we get hired on by the regional airlines, the first 3 years of annual salary is $25k first year, $29k second year, and $32k for the third year as an FO. That is, when the US airlines are hiring. And that isn't expected to happen again for another 4 or 5 years.

I'm afraid there will be a good generation of us that might never get a shot at living the dream. At this point, the closest thing that I can get to it is teaching Indians how to fly small GA aircraft. And, if I make it out alive... Our Indian friends, for the most part, are not very fond of spinning an aircraft. However, the concept of keeping the ball centered while stalling the aircraft is not something that comes natural for the majority of Indian students.