PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Authorities search for crashed plane near Mt Isa
Old 20th Jul 2008, 08:26
RadioSaigon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not going to argue with you Brian -and I'm certainly not going to address any personalities involved, but from my reading of the reports (admittedly some time ago) the overwhelming impression I have was of:
  • an airframe in desperate need of adequate maintenance, particularly the engines,
  • a poor decision to press on single-engine when viable alternates were nearby and available, and
  • the supposition that the live engine may have continued producing power were a lower power setting selected.
Please note the third point is highlighted as supposition.

I'm of the opinion that Whyalla should be required reading for every aspiring twin pilot, accompanied with a thorough analysis and discussion. Another fatality that meets that requirement would be one that I was closely involved in -Foveaux Strait 1998. There are many others that would be excellent for initial and recurrent training scenarios for twin pilots, both VFR and IFR, covering almost every imaginable circumstance that if mishandled may lead to a fatality.

Nobody gains or learns anything if people that know get all prickly at the mere mention of an incident, personality or express an opinion contrary to the accepted wisdom. If you have been around this industry for long -as I suspect you may have been- then you will be aware of circumstances where the facts of an incident have been made to 'fit' the political agenda of whatever agency or individual stands to lose the most political currency. Again Foveaux Strait 1998 is a classic example of the fudging committed by Police, TAIC, CAA and whoever else perceived a benefit in jumping on their bandwagon.

There is learning in here for us all.