PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Authorities search for crashed plane near Mt Isa
Old 20th Jul 2008, 02:42
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aerod, ditto on that one! However, Radios reply is equally valid.

When engines stop on final approach, or at the same time in a twin, most would assume they were sucking air (and they would be right most of the time), until proven otherwise. Those of us who speculated were wrong in the case of Whyalla, and apparently in the case of the C207 that went into the swamp at YBTL. The jury is still out on the 777 at LHR, but it is interesting that the fleet were not grounded while the cause of the engines failing to spool up was determined (I thought about that one recently while crossing the Atlantic to LHR in a 777.

If speculating on the cause of a prang gets people thinking and helps one pilot avoid the same fate - then I think that is OK.

Will be interesting to get the whole story, but I do have some sympathies for young pilots struggling with the challenges of GA commercial ops. These days I only fly privately in the FTDK, when I mostly depart with full tanks and the Garmin 496 reminds me of my fuel management responsibilities every 30 min.

I have only had two fuel "incidents" in twins.

One was at night when a pilot newly rated on the Aztec turned the fuel off instead of changing tanks. Fortunately I had suggested he staqger the tank changes by 5 minutes (as has always been my practice after reading in the Crash Comic about a Queenair that went it at night with a double engine failure due to fuel starvation - and plenty of fuel on board), so we only had one failed engine to deal with.

The other one was when the CP gave me a 402 with less than full tanks but supposedly a known amount of fuel on board after a previous flight. The charter was out and back to a remote cattle station. Outbound I had some concerns about the fuel on board as indicated by the guages and rang the CP before departing homeward to again assure myself that there was sufficient fuel on board. TOC I changed one side onto a tank that should have had 45 min in it - and the engine stopped 5 min later. A quick diversion into Charlie's Trousers solved the probem. The CP swears to this day that the aeroplane had sufficent fuel for the flight - and I am equally adament that it didn't.

I feel for those who do the fuel/payload shuffle everyday, with 30 year old equipment.

Digital fuel flows such as the Shadin in my Bo should be mandatory. Seems to me that this is one area where technology has made life a great deal easier. The question "do I have enough fuel onboard" is easily answered. A GPS will tell you your ETA to the minute and a Shadin type fuel flow meter should tell you what fuel is on board and exactly what your endurance is.

Dr

Oh - and stagger your tank changes in case you still get it wrong.