PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: QANTAS/ALAEA EBA
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2008, 13:17
emal140

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My thoughts....

If you all check the latest press releases from QF they do differ, albeit insignificantly.
The AIPA EBA ” This is a significant agreement that locks in the company's 3 per cent per annum wages policy for a further five years, until 2013”. The ALEA EBA “terms of the agreement remain confidential until next week, but they are within the framework of our wages policy.”. I know they are only words but think of this. As an AME/LAME you work and certify within QF policy, however you also work and certify within the ‘framework’ of the CASA regulations. As I said, they are only words but can mean different things. What we do need to do is read what we are given and digest. I would assume that the reason the dreaded “3%’” wasn’t mentioned was for good reason, further industrial action by the ALAEA members.

On Monday, put our present situation in perspective. You won’t get managers heads on a platter or stick (however much people desire that). You won’t see much at all looking at it from within, if blinded by desire. What we asked for was a fair pay increase for a fair days work. We can’t afford to complicate the issue with other wants. Keep in mind that recent managers have wanted to devalue the AME/LAME license. By getting some people to sell their souls for 200k/annum and putting them through a ‘few weeks’ schooling, they hoped to make our license a superfluous piece of paper. Keep in mind that they were playing pawns with the people who pay, not only our wages, but those that manage above us. However through resilience and sheer determinedness we have now got to this point, not without suffering though. We owe our thanks to all the executive and the Bexley staff, however without the understanding of everyone (passengers, pilots, flight attendants, ground staff, all….) we would not be here now. It would seem that everyone else was listening except those of the intelligent space.

On Monday read what is presented and digest. We have been at the table with an in-principle agreement before. That was voted down, and so be it if it happens again Monday. If it gets voted down it will be because it doesn’t represent what we have taken the PIA for. However, think of this. What we have achieved? I believe it is thus. The management had to stop taking us for granted. Many of you have used the word respect before, but remember respect is a two way street. Maybe it is just me, but what I seem to be reading is that after all the bluff and bluster by QF, THEY had to come to us to resolve the issue, not us to them, That in itself is worth more to me than gold bullion. Don’t ‘Maintain the Rage until Monday’. Certainly ‘Maintain the Rage.. with respect’. What we need to do is MAINTAIN THE RESOLVE that got us to this point. RAGE is temporary, RESOLVE is permanent.

Long live the LAME…