PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yank in need of advice
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2008, 01:56
Chewie von Nubbins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yank in need of advice

New to the forum and would like a little guidance from my European brothers and sisters. I am another Yank wannabe interested the JAA ATPL license conversion. Any and all help appreciated and welcomed in advance.

I am 35 yo, have about 600 TT with 110 ME (Multi), FAA Commercial, IR, Certified Flight Instructor and Certified Instrument Flight Instructor (IR). I have about 320 TT dual given instruction, mostly single engine. Unlike most other Yanks, I believe that I would have the right to work in the EU because my wife of 11 years is a Spanish citizen. I picked her up while serving in Spain....very nice souvenir to have, I must say.

I understand that in order to attempt a JAA license conversion, I would have to do the dreaded 14 exams. Furthermore, I also understand that I would have to do the equivilant IR oral and checkride, as well as the same for the CPL conversion. I have scoped out what it would cost and the effort that I would have to put into this endeavor in order to achieve the rightful conversion, as well as the MCC that the JAA requires. That is about as far as I have gotten in my knowledge quest.

What I am confused about is the differences in getting into an airline between here in the States and over there (UK mostly). Taking into consideration that the current atmosphere with high fuel prices is indeed skewing the employment picture in Europe at the moment, would it even be worth it for me at my ripe old age of 35 to even pursue an attempt at doing the license conversions and eventually to pursue employment with a carrier based in the UK? I understand that there are unique sponsorships with airlines, as well as self sponsored individuals pursuing the ATPL licenses. However, I am unsure of how that factors into getting an interview and prospects of gainful employment with a carrier.

Are the prospects for a self-sponsored pilot with my background and age too big of an obstacle to overcome? Also, how common is it for an EU carrier to make someone "buy" their own type rating?

Thanks for reading my post, and again I appreciate the feedback in advance.