PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Qantaslink Traineeship/Cadetship/General Employment
Old 17th Jul 2008, 22:40
UFLA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to the top again, fellas!

Did the testing of the 17th go ahead?

Does anyone want to share the experience?

Here is a brief version of my experience recently -

I was there with 2 other guys –

One was from Burketown in North Queensland and was flying a Chieftain and a Baron (and probably some singles).

The other was from Adelaide.

Both had about 1,300 TT and ?300 twin. A CIR with maybe one renewal. That’s about all I know about them. You don’t have much time to chat as you all have the 3 components of the day at different times and just pass in the corridor.

There were some very low hour trainees doing sim training there.

INTERVIEW

I was happy with my interview and the questions were positive.

2 guys. One is HR. The other is a pilot. The first half hour is personal with the HR guy asking most of the questions.

“Tell us about what you have done since school”. “Give us 3 positive attributes that you have”. “Tell us about a time you had an argument with a colleague. How was it resolved?” “What did you do to prepare for this interview?” “Tell us about a time you stuffed up?”

The answers aren’t important. Take your time answering them and ask them to clarify anything that may be nebulous, it gives you more time to think too. Put yourself across positively without crossing the line to delusions of grandeur. They just want to see what you are like and if they would like to spend a day in a cockpit with you. Relax and smile.

You then get about 10 minutes to grab a coffee, decrease your tachycardia and wipe the sweat from your neck. The second half hour is technical. Straight off a sheet. He doesn’t even look at you.

“Read this TAF. Do you need an alternate? Brief this approach. What is the most easterly port that Eastern fly to? What engines are on the Dashes? How do you know if you have the required vis. at the min. on an ILS? When can you make a visual approach? When can descend below the MDA?”

About 2 pages of that sort of thing. He just ticks them if you get them right so don’t waffle on like the personal interview session. Most have 3 word answers. It took me a while to work that out, I am not very smart…

I was told that the rate of pilots leaving had decreased and (I think) only 1 had resigned in the last 2 months.

They didn’t take my Police Record Check, HSC, copies of references or passport, or anything else from what I can gather. I don’t know if this was an oversight of they just wanted to see them.

HOT TIP -Buy a $2 presentation folder, it all looks so much better in that rather than just throwing a stack of paper at them.

SIM

The Q400 was very heavy in aileron and elevator control. I found a LOT of lag esp. with aileron and was over controlling in roll ++. You do the 2 approaches. A steep turn thru 360 degrees in a direction of your choice, an easy NDB intercept and track to the aid. Know the power settings and attitudes (as if I could hold them ) Trimming of aileron and rudder is required all the time. They allege that they don’t expect you to fly well, they just want to see an improvement during the flight. Plenty of room for me then!

MEDICAL

At least as thorough as any Class One you have done. Audiometry, 12 lead ECG, spirometry, urine, full neuro exam etc. Not much you can do to prepare for it. Remember to take your blood results and eye test.

The whole thing goes from 10 till 4 so don’t make any other plans for the day. It takes a while for your head to stop spinning.

I hope that helps some of you. Good luck to all.