PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying overweight
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2008, 06:03
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
It is my opinion that the age, tiredness, or model of an aircraft are not factors in it's performance relative to others of the same type. It's maintenance condition could be a factor, if maintainers had allowed the aircraft to no longer conform to its required standards on it's type certificate data sheet. The pilot could be if he or she over/incorrectly loads it, or flies it with poor technique.

If you loaded it properly, and are flying it properly, and it is not performing, don't ask it's age, tiredness, or model, ask if conforms as it should. Low engine cylinder compression, mag timing way off, induction problems, wrong prop pitch, flying surface out of rig (among other causes) can all make a huge difference in performance. I delived a Lake LA-4-200 not long ago, which seemed a poor performer, but flew straight. It flew straight because someone had rigged out some great geometery problem, by rigging the right aileron 1.5" trailing edge up, which the other one was in trim. I would thus suspect that a wing was on incorrectly, that won't help the takeoff performance much! I snagged the plane, did not hear the outcome...

I think that flying technique can produce poor performance more quickly and obviously than overloading. Or phrased differently, an overloaded plane could be skillfully flown (but I'm not endorsing it), and produce performance which was seemingly acceptable. The PA28 cited earlier is a fine plane, but can be easily flown well behind the power curve on a poorly executed takeoff, and indeed, simply not climb at all. I have experimented with this on a frozen lake (miles long smooth flat runway). When abused, it just would not climb away with full power - stuck in ground affect. It had to be landed back at near full power. I've also been a very scared right seat passenger riding through a poorly executed takeoff in a 180hp PA28 Arrow. The only way a climbout happened in time, was that I retracted the gear. Everything about that plane was fine, it was totally poor pilot technique. Aircraft which are equipped with stabilators rather than stabilizer/elevator, seem to me to be able to get into a very high drag/stalled stabilator situation with application of lots of pitch up command. The early Cessna Cardinals had an AD associated with this.

There are many factors which go into causing a poor takeoff, don't just blame the plane, and decide not to learn what else could be better next time.

Pilot DAR