PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Concerns Over The Number Of Australian LAMEs.
Old 16th Jul 2008, 23:34
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Hasherucf. The purpose of my post was to dispel incorrect comment regarding apprentice terms and conditions. I did not intend to imply an apprenticeship was totally free of all cost to the apprentice.

I applaud you in undertaking a mature age apprenticeship and wish you every success in achieving your trade qualification. It is a very hard road, requiring determination and hard work. I guess you are aware the national cancellation rate in apprenticeship is well in excess of 40%, an appalling rate and in many cases, a reflection on the poor terms and conditions for apprentices.

There are those of us working "behind the scenes" to improve conditions for apprentices and to improve the quality of training in a flexible delivery environment. Despite public political rhetoric to the contrary and Australia's critical qualified trade shortages, our efforts are generally falling on deaf ears.

Many trades require a trade qualified person to undertake licensing exams, plumbers and electricians for example. CASA is to be condemned for the exorbitant and outrageous license fees it charges to those who can least afford it.

It is my personal view that the exams necessary to achieve an initial trade license - whether electrician, plumber or AME - should be free of all costs.

Yes, you would have missed out on "Tools for your Trade". The intent of the program is excellent however it's application in some respects, leaves something to be desired.

Airsupport. I don't think an apprenticeship is any harder now, than it was when my father completed his five year indenture over eighty years ago. However in a contemporary world today's apprentices are under different socio-economic pressures, resulting in successful completion as difficult today as it was back in your days.

Australia's problem is a critical labour shortage and so many competing career options.