PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frustrated (?) pilots and security screening
Old 16th Jul 2008, 18:36
qwertyplop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rsuggit wrote

"When may I expect you to counter the points I made about the right educated people, with the right background and level of vetting and ongoing monitoring, with the right access to the pertinent intel, from the right crown service working in partnership with other crown services, doing the REAL job that security have no hope in a month of Sundays doing??"

I'm very happy that we have such people working for us.

As soon as you can guarantee with your life that they will be 100% accurate and successful, I'l be even happier.

But, we seem to have reached an impass, and neither has convinced the other. I'm surprised at these negative attitudes to security, but I cant sway you over to my point of view. I'm a little surprised considering that you life is more at risk from terrorism than mine.

However, before we come to a standstill, I have only one last suggestion. If you feel it's really that bad, do what any other employee has a right to so... go on strike.

Never have I read a more provocative and uninformed view of the issues at hand. I suspect that it's because you are either involved with the issue from the other side of the security gates or it's because you simply do not understand the issue at hand.

Many of those involved at the sharp end of the aviation business are risk adverse - it's the nature of the business. Check, check and double check. With this comes an eye for detail but it's an experienced eye and one that takes in any number of details. I'm sorry to say this but it's something that our friends in security do not share, they are not motivated or trained to anywhere near the standard required to offer the kind of protection you believe that they offer. And the reality is that because of the pay and terms and conditions offered to these operatives, the role attracts the uneducated, uninterested and those whose communication skills which are not up to the level of interaction that the role requires. It's a double edged sword - they end up alienating the very people that would work with them to facilitate the responsibilities we all have in the airside environment. It's not rocket science.

I honestly believe that when Police, Customs and Immigration Officers cast an eye over us in the ports, they know exactly what they are looking for, they know what to ignore and what to take an interest in. It's why 95% of the travelling public, apart from the inevitable queues, are allowed to proceed through unhindered with the minimum level of interaction. They have the knowledge base and training to do this. I accept that there always exceptions to the rules but in my experience they are few and far between.

I know that the security operatives do not.

I'm not being cruel to these folks, they are doing a horrid job and I respect that but they could do it so much better in so many cases. That they do not suggests a degree of obstinance and stupidity better suited to another less critical environment.

I would suggest that if you want to be considered safe and free from risk in 100% (your words Sir) of the time you travel on an aircraft, then;

A) Don't get onboard the aeroplane - they are awfully complicated you know.

B) Don't rely on unmotivated, unskilled and poorly paid security people doing a poor job targeting the wrong people because they were simply left to get on with it and figure it out for themselves.

C) Etc.

Last edited by qwertyplop; 16th Jul 2008 at 22:19.