PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 5
Thread: MANCHESTER - 5
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2008, 16:52
roverman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robbin' The Rich Doesn't Pay

I visited one of MAN's new upstart competitor's yesterday, one which has set out to rob the rich (MAN) to give to the poor. Yes, Robin Hood Doncaster/Sheffield International was a picture of tranquility yesterday at around 1700 hours. The 2893 metre runway and impressive parallel taxiway shimmered in the late afternoon sunshine, with no traffic on it. The new wavy roof terminal building set a pleasant and welcoming profile alongside the refurbished 1930s RAF Expansion Period hangars. It was a shame there were not more people around to appreciate it. I drove along the new dual-lane access road, which had no traffic on it. I gazed over the apron, which had no traffic on it. Just one bizjet and no public transport aircraft in sight. I waited for about 15 minutes. I heard several pins drop, but the air remained undisturbed by turbine engines. On my way out, to be helpful to the people of South Yorkshire, I reversed a road sign showing an 'Airport (aircraft silhouette) symbol. I turned it to point West, added the word 'Manchester' before the symbol, with the suffix '38 miles'. The idea seemed to be catching as I glanced up to see, overhead at about 7000 feet, an Emirates B777 was already descending on its way west.