PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 7
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 7
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2008, 12:59
groundhand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take some of Tonkers points re the number of individuals that will go to an airport to 'see the aeroplanes' - think back to the first Concorde movements when c.10,000 people mobbed the airport to get a look - but most of the planned centres I have seen at airports have good sight of the aprons and are not just for watching take-offs and landings. The hard core spotters will go wherever they can; whether the 'punter' will be enthused only time will tell.

My cynical view of the proposed vistor centre is that NIA want to generated income.
Why?
The airport is saddled with a listed building (the old terminal / flying club - God knows why, but some do-gooders from the councils did this years ago)) and has to maintain it. That costs money.
Independent businesses have not been able to make it pay (how many have tried and failed?; how many stewards have run off with the cash?).
NIA will introduce parking charges at the SS. Aircraft owners/operators, passengers, visitors, students and staff will get caught in this
The extended academy will generate a market for food and drink; as will the visitors.

On a wider note, the take over of Samson may be seen as an effort to improve the woeful security at the SS and have a central security point for people going airside.

Whether or not the marketing skills of the NIA team will be able to generate more business aircraft movements, the developments will be interesting to see; I wish them well.
GH