PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Concerns Over The Number Of Australian LAMEs.
Old 16th Jul 2008, 12:58
Hasherucf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torres wrote
Tool Allowance:
Hair Dresser $130 per annum
Aircraft Engineer (mechanical/structural) $450 per annum
Aircraft Engineer (avionics) $450 per annum
Carpenter - Builder $450 per annum

Australian apprentices generally receive a once off "Tools For Your Trade" allowance of $800 from the Federal Government, paid in the first year, out of probation.
The "Tools For Your Trade" scheme for Aircraft Engineers only started in July last year. I signed my papers in June and I missed out on that , no back dating on that scheme for current apprenticeships.

Last July was when the government realised we where actually in shortage.

My year also missed out on a wage top up of $2000 Per annum and in my case $13000 as I am aged above 30. Not chicken feed for an apprentice you would agree.

Torres Wrote
Apprentice tools are more than adequately catered for through Award tool allowances and the Federal Tools For Your Trade program; training delivery and workbooks are included in State User Choice funding; and there are a range of programs offering financial inducements for apprentices to enter trades, including the Master Builder's, WorkSkills etc.
I don’t know anyone that gets an Award tool allowance. "Tools of your trade" as above. Training delivery is subsided by government in the TAFE system to the tune of $1.60 an hour. But TAFE training is not recognised by CASA and you have to do the Basics on your own time.

Aviation Australia does offer the course at approx $50k for the year which is subsidised by the Queensland government if your a residence to the tune of 90%.You don't get subsidised if outside that state

You can get private courses from the likes of Queensland Aerospace college for the tune of $9.50 an hour + Casa basic fee.

Anyway what I am leading up to is that this might all change and it might all be going to commercial rates with the B1 with the employer expected to pay ...rates of more like $45 - $60 an hour. If you sit in on a TAFE class and your not subsided expect to pay commercial rates

TAFE does have some work books but I had to buy others to the tune of $250 in the first year.

I promise you its not easy being a apprentice.