PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Concerns Over The Number Of Australian LAMEs.
Old 16th Jul 2008, 11:03
Hasherucf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being an apprentice AME I feel I want to wade into this debate. I really love my job and will throw myself at any job my boss gives to me. This job is nothing to do with money and in fact if I wanted that I would have become a fitter, electrician or boilermaker.

The $1000 dollars is a bit of a joke but CASA has to be seen to be doing something. I personally have spent from my savings about $13000 this year in training, tools and textbooks. Saying that I have sat 14 of my basics in that time.

Heres some observations about the system as its stands

It desperately needs updating , unlike the pilot system of exams its still pencil and paper while in contrast to the pilots its computer based with instant results, I wait 2 weeks for my results. For this privilege I pay $100 dollars an exam compared to $65 for an ATPL subject

The question bank has not been peered reviewed in a good 20 - 30 years and anything written on the yellow exam comments sheet are obviously filed in the bin.

The syllabus is very old, aircraft it’s based on are DC3’s, Connies, Electra’s and DC9’s. Most piston engine courses are based on radial engines and very little (or none) is on Lycoming or Conti based systems. Most systems studied aren't even flying any more.

The age of the syallbus is because most questions are taken from FAA or Jeppersen books which are sadly very dated. Some questions are taken from books that aren’t printed anymore. Try getting a "DCA textbook" printed in 1984

The exams are also English examinations and are obviously written by an Cambridge or Oxford old boy. Casa is the brunt of many jokes here ,a lecturer said if they rewrote the questions it "would be assuming someone in CASA knows something about aircaft"

The new B1 EASA system is just confusing the punters.At the apperentice level everyone is confused. It seems that CASA is hoping to import Engineers from european countrys by unifing the system but what they dont realise is that we are paid poorly here and your not going to attact europeans. In fact if you’re a young guy with a fresh B1 from Aviation Australia why stay in Australia? Another drain on the system

The B3 system is a complete joke and I hope the Alaea steps in to stamp it out!! I met a guy who held a British B1 for 10 years and when he asked to transfer it they needed $1600 to “assess it”. If its not convertible straight away why change to this system?

It’s a thankless job and everyone in my workshop works extreme overtime for no extra pay just to keep things going. A typical GA hangar is “overworked and under staffed”. You never hear anything when you’re doing a good job only when something is wrong. Managers treat you as a necessary evil. Don’t even try mentioning duty times for Engineers

Pay is low compared to other trade based jobs, especially here in WA. Aircraft are old and need a lot of attention. Systems are old and no where reflect current technology. My car has more technology than anything I work on.

If I worked at a friend’s car service centre he wouldn’t accept any car older than 5 years old to work on. I am working on aircraft 25 years plus. He charges out car mechanics at $88 an hour. Then I hear owners complaining about the price of a periodic service.

I have met a lot of people that have trained as AME's but they quickly see a path into flying or find the rewards too little. Basically if you’re thinking about a job in Aviation I would say do anything else…. Pilot, baggage handler, hostie

Rant completed ;-)