PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Legends Duxford 08
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2008, 13:56
Alien Role

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beaufighter??

I had the immense pleasure of visiting Duxford 2 years ago and for an Aussie, who has never seen a lot of the aircraft on show, it was a sight to behold.
Walked into a hangar full of fighters (it may have been Stephen Grey's) and there was a beautiful "work in progress" of the restoration of a Beaufighter.
The chap working on it and another younger Aussie' said it had been found in the scrub in Northern Australia.
Is it operational yet?
You are so fortunate there in the UK for back here in Oz, we trashed just about all our war surplus aircraft.
A story I can relate; I was talking to some farmers from Central NSW who were both pilots during the war and they showed me the remains of a Mosquito lying out the back of their sheds, and two Merlins inside one shed.

During the war, Mosquitos were built at the De Havilland works at Bankstown near Sydney and flown to Narromine in Central NSW where they were used for training.

At the end of the war, there were a lot of Mosquitos (don't know how many) sitting at Narromine stuffed full of fuel.
There was a dispersal sale of these aircraft and the local farmers, who were having difficulty getting fuel for their tractors were buying the Mosquitos simply to get the fuel; the only proviso was, they had to take the aircraft also.

This is when I get a tear in my eye; they would drain the fuel out, then chop the airframes up with axes and cross-cut saws, throw them on their trucks, take them back to their farms and BURN THEM!

Keep the good work going at Duxford.