PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia: Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects
Old 12th Jul 2008, 15:44
HeliRookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL in South Africa, CPL in Oz?

Hi all,
Been spending quite a bit of time on the forum and have got to say how awesome it is of a lot of the experienced guys to continually share their knowledge. With that in mind, I'm looking for a general opinion on my upcoming plans to nab my CPL.

I'm an Aussie currently in Europe where plans have been changing frequently but at this point I'm going to head to South Africa (Durban- NAC, JNC or Starlite) to get my PPL, maybe do another 20-30 hours on top (incl. R44conv) where the hourly rate is favourable before heading back to Queensland (Bluetongue or Chopperline) to sit CPL exams and complete my hours/chosen conversions/ratings etc. I miss Australia loads and definitely want to work there in the long run but don't want to rule out the prospect of international work in the future also (Need for FAA or JAA for said work?).

-Is flying a large proportion of my early hours in South Africa going to harm my immediate Aussie job prospects?
-I'm relatively commitment free so what of the option to complete FAA or JAA exams and flight test in the States or UK and then simply converting the licence to Ozzy standard by sitting the Air-Law exam and flight test? Surely that way I'll have the option to work all over the world down the track? But I'm guessing that would damage my immediate Aussie job prospects?

Any which way am prepared for a hard slog. Feedback appreciated