PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Reserve
Thread: RAAF Reserve
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2008, 00:44
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Trojan:

Not much from civvy street is recognised in the ADF. If you own your own Landrover and have a civvy heavy vehicle drivers licence, you will still not be allowed to drive a LR, or any other military vehicle for that matter, in the military until you do the appropriate drivers course.
This is counter productive but it is the way the ADF 'works'.

Errrr, no. It's not counterproductive at all. It's about ensuring that exactly the same behaviours and levels of competence are demonstrated by all ADF personnel. In Military planning, levels of risk are accepted that are way beyond anything allowed in civil operations - including driving heavy vehicles.

To put it another way, it's going to be a bit of a disaster if you, with your civil heavy vehicle licence, have never experienced a wet muddy, 35 degree slope in a fully loaded Army 6WD Five Tonner - as you may be required to do even on a weekend bivouac.

As for civil pilots flying military aircraft, I got one of the biggest shocks of my life when I compared the design and operation of B767 systems with the F18, talk about risk!!!

We did one mod that doubled the time an F18 Pilot had to eject if a blade came off and was going to go into a fuel tank - the RAAF were chuffed!

...Time went from about 1.5 seconds to about three seconds

Still want to fly an F18?