PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Concerns Over The Number Of Australian LAMEs.
Old 11th Jul 2008, 16:26
mootyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torres,

I do agree that the amount of money they are handing out is quite ridicoulous.

I should have put more explanation into my points before and will do now.

Most companys find it quite alot easier to take on a apprentice that has done a pre-appretinceship due to the app. having quite a few devolped hand skills and some knowledge and as someone mentioned earlier employers are taking apps. over AME as they are cheaper.

Pre App courses are by no means free or subsidised enough. The employer used to wear all these costs such as course fees, travel to school, wages whilst at school and if you were lucky enough casa basics. I myself was lucky enough to get a apprenticesip from day one myself and have everything paid for. But quite a few of my younger friends are not in the same boat.

The living away from home Allowance is only paid in arrears and at usually two month intervels. By this time the poor bugger is scrounging of everyone he knows to survive and last time I checked was $10 a day which today would not cover fuel and barely public transport. And only available whilst you are an apprentice not training to be one!!!!

And the wages of app. elecs, brickies and chippies is at time 30 percent more if you want will provide evidence.

Finnaly I know that if my family had not got together to fund the 10-15 k to turn my little bro into a Conehead it would not have happened at all.

Last edited by mootyman; 12th Jul 2008 at 14:04.