PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Concerns Over The Number Of Australian LAMEs.
Old 11th Jul 2008, 10:10
Bolty McBolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is increasing concern being expressed within the aviation industry that there will be a shortfall in the number of Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineers (LAMEs) available to meet a growing workload as the total aircraft fleet size increases and the average aircraft age rises. This problem is exacerbated in regional areas where most organizations are servicing general aviation aircraft.
While I applaud the sentiment, there is no way I would recommend to a young (or old) person a career in aircraft maintenance with an Airline.
There are to many other jobs out there that have far better employers and management style. Doing night shift on Christmas or during a Bledisloe cup match that you had tickets for is ok for the first 20 years but after that it does not get any better. You have a unique skill (one of them bleating) with few options to do anything else except same for another airline or MRO which are run by the same kind of people.

I have not worked in G.A. but I do hear their is a chronic shortage of LAMEs
I have only heard anecdotal evidence but it would appear many G.A. employers are not sympathetic to the learning curve required of the young LAME which leads to a very tenuous employee - employer relationship. As mistakes in trouble shooting etc which cost the MRO/employer is often rewarded by dismissal. This may have something to do with the average LAME age in GA is around 45 and up, as only the most experienced accurate people survive in this climate. i.e. you can't get the job without experience and you cant get experience without a job.

If you want a trade Become a good carpenter and do your building license.
If you have an urge to work on aircraft do it as a hobby. It will be much more rewarding.

Regards
Bolty