PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Reserve
Thread: RAAF Reserve
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2008, 00:22
Icarus53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have info on how USAF train ANG pilots?

I understand there is a very different flying culture in the US, but if they can train a civilian pilot to fly tactical operations then I don't see why there should be any issue of standards here (economies of scale in the training system notwithstanding).

I strongly agree with Keg here - being ex-military (non-aircrew) with lots of experience that would be valuable (as well as flight qualifications), I would love to be able to contribute to the ADF. You would think in the current employment environment there would be a heavy push to get the most out of the available labour force and push PAF towards "sharp end" flying.

Sadly, despite recruiting being a major issue for defence over the last 10 years, they continue to employ civilian recruiting agencies which are not necessarily "First XI". On enquiring about a RAAF reserve (non-aircrew position), I was bounced between numerous "recruiters", left a number of phone messages etc before giving up in disgust. I felt like ringing up Angus and saying - "No worries - you blokes must be flush if you can't even be bothered calling a guy back who has almost 15 years experience and is willing to put on the uniform again!"

Guess I'll just have to keep ironing white shirts instead ...