PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Frustrated (?) pilots and security screening
Old 9th Jul 2008, 23:11
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 468 Likes on 248 Posts
I think the point has been missed by at least one poster here. Recent editions of CHIRP magazine have shown that security staff imposed aircrew stress is a real day to day flight safety issue, not just something dreamed up by the over-emotional.

The real next threat will not come through a security gate. That's old hat, out of date. The security service is behind the drag curve. The present security procedures are borne out of an almost hysterical government response caused by media sensationalism.

Anyone working airside could pick fault in security procedures, see loopholes.

For example, "Restricted Area 157" over London was put in place after 9/11 and it remains to this day. It serves no practical purpose whatsoever and in some circumstances causes a flight safety hazard. It appears to be there only so that politicians and senior police "experts" can say that something was done.

I fly an aircraft that could easily cause untold damage, despite this shallow, nugatory veneer of security we suffer at the behest of the ignorant. Getting me to remove my belt and shoes so a bell doesn't ding changes nothing.