PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Reserve
Thread: RAAF Reserve
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2008, 14:34
fence_post

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is an interesting point you raise. Orginally, the Citizen Air Force (CAF) in the early 1950's, trained pilot's through this system as well as the Permanent RAAF. CAF pilots trained, qualified and flew Tiger Moths, Wirraways and Mustangs on weekends. Many were World War II pilots who didn't need to qualify, but others were just off the street. This was also done in the RAFVR and RNVR for the nautical minded types and even through their National Service scheme of the early 1950's. I remember when I was a young lad in the mid-1950's these three types of aircraft being flown by 24 Sqn CAF from RAAF MALLALA (grassed over airfield - now a racing car track) while RAAF EDINBURGH was being built. Just as an aside, there is a War Grave cemetry within the town of Mallala's cemetry. It has the names of many young flyers who died while training there in World War II and shortly after.

I believe the RAAF Reserve went non-flying in the late 1950's or early 1960's. However, I understand that it went back to flying in the 80's/90's with former RAAF Pilots who graduated from RAAF PEARCE and served time in the RAAF. An example of this is the Citizen Air Force Squadron at RAAF PEARCE where they operated Macchi's.

While I appreciate you couldn't invite people with no flying experience now days, why not consider pilot's who are endorsed and have regularly sim rides and line checks to fly them either on weekends or in periods of annual training. Similar, but not quite the same where the RAN allow civilians to deliver Patrol Boats to nominated ports for the Navy to take over.

With the introduction of the B737NG to 34 Sqn in Canberra and AWACS B737NG to RAAF WILLIAMTOWN, in addition to the introduction of the A330, I would think that the RAAF could have a surplus of these pilots, if allowed by CASA and their Companies to be released. And, basically if the RAAF tolerate 'civilian pilots' to join the CAF for flying duties?

At the moment, Virgin Blue have been and are training RAAF Pilots to fly the B737NG for 34 Sqn and AWACS. As Virgin Blue seem to be getting a few RAAF Pilots to work for them, one would think they may have to put a ROSO obligation on this and future training of airline aircraft?

It is interesting that both the Air National Guard and USNR have flying Units.