PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How secure is a new Ryanair Cadet's job?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2008, 08:54
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gashog makes an excellent statement, I have to agree with it all. I will admit, it is a shame what has happened to the airline industry. I was base checked 2weeks ago with Ryanair and my LTC/TRE was what I would have described as being a "true aviator" who worked his way through the system in the conventional sense (FI to Air Taxi Pilot, Turboprops then Jets). He had amassed several thousand hours on a variety of interesting and varied types. I was jealous of his achievements and fealt the experience that he had gathered over the years helped to mould his professionalism and ability. But now this route no longer seems to be the accepted way. I have friends, fantastic pilots and personalities, who have been FIs for several years. In a similar scenario I know individuals who have been flying TPs for the same amount of time. They both have found it extremely difficult to make it to the next step. A great shame in my opinion.

I was fortunate enough to be able to self fund the SSTR with FR. Its a tough course and you need to stay focussed and put your effort in. I got through in minimum time with first time passes and I am now line training and flying all the hours God allows me. It is a good aircraft and the LTCs a very helpful. Again, you must put everything into it and by the end of the day you are ready to collapse into a heap However you are building jet time, which it seems everyone wants these days.

Security wise, I cannot tell you. Even with Ryanair's stability nothing is ever guaranteed. The next few years will see us all wondering what is around the corner. The doom and gloom merchants are forcasting that the end is nigh already. Dont listen to them, however try and be realistic and open minded as possible (I hope you understand what I mean here ). Goodluck, CK