PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAA ATC Positions
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2008, 22:51
IKEANO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC system

We are now working in a stripless environment and have been for a few months. It's working really well. Most of the time we work 2 person sectors . Before stripless came in , the planning controller was often times distracted and inundated with duplicate and triplicate strips, sorting them out and filling the bins with unnecessary waste.
Thankfully , that is all in the past and now we have two pairs of eyes and ears fully trained and focused on the sector suite operation and radar picture . Radar screens are in in both positions. The planning controller generally pans out on an extended range and alerts the executive(radar ) controller to potential conflicts and monitors times and time restrictions as well as the usual co-ordination functions with adjacent units and sectors. Its a safe and comforting set up now with the strips out of the way. I think most of the Shannon controllers feel the same way. It is also an example of how management are improving and moving the system forward and improving the operational environment so '' ALL CREDIT TO THE LADS''.
But before I get carried away ,like all management, they make a fair balls up of other things too. Single person operations are also planned in the future but I think alot of controllers find the prospect daunting. It's great piece of mind to have your colleague by your side for cross reference.

Last edited by IKEANO; 8th Jul 2008 at 23:33.