PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How secure is a new Ryanair Cadet's job?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2008, 20:11
GasHog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would have to agree with the advice to take the job with the Ryans. If I were in your position, I would amass as much time on a popular jet type as possible in order to ensure, as much as is possible, your employability in the event of life outside Ryanair.
It's a real shame the way the industry has evolved in many respects. Time was, you did your stint on the props (few got straight to jet), worked your bond and transitioned on to jets. No payments etc, just a bond. Times change though, and I would advise anyone with access to the funds to get onto and rack up the jet hours as quickly as you can. With experience comes the increasing ability to "cherry pick" the jobs.
I would also like to offer a bit of additional advice. Try to be broadminded about a lot of the doom and gloom scenarios doing the rounds on these forums. I have been a member of pprune for years now but quite honestly, this is the first time in years I've got involved. Even when we're riding the crest of the wave, someone will always wee on the strawberries. Whilst his initial advice seems sound, the fact is that unless Farrell is a fortune teller, he will know as much about the implications of future oil prices as my neighbours cat. It's natural enough I suppose to think you're untouchable in your sandcastle but fact is, if oil does continue skyward - nobody will be untouched. These sort of proclaimations of "best job - me" are often a way of reinforcing their own decisions. Theres no perfect place to be, just try to take all the facts, steer clear of the Mystic Megs and make up your own mind.
Stay positive and focused. Put 100% in and keep your head down. I wont even try to predict the future but I will say this. "Make hay while the sun shines". Try not to be disheartened by the gloom merchants, you wouldn't even get out of bed in the morning if you took on all they said.
Take care of yourself and fly safe
Wishing you all the best.

Gashog
(see you in another four years)