PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is going on at CAA??
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2008, 17:35
cavortingcheetah
Está servira para distraerle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it would be extremely difficult to establish guilt or innocence and the idea of having the DEs briefed up to quiz the newish renewal candidates is an exceptionally good one, in the never so humble. Would that I could be among the number of the former; t'would have me reaching for my old textbooks with a vindictive glint in whichever eye was focused that morning!
Didn't actually know that DEs or FOIs had the authority to initiate that sort of thing, but of course in your comments lies the argument for making it so.
The story of the Emirates chap is refreshing as well. There used to be a South African licence holder, as I recall, some years ago who was rated on all sorts of Boeings. Since no one could ever remember who had checked him out on what, that raised an eyebrow or two. In fact, I am not sure that it wasn't the demon drink and a flapping mouth that did for him too, in the end.
As I recall again, perhaps erroneously, if one is flying a two crew airline operation in an aircraft which is listed on one's instructor rating, one may not log the time as instructor time unless the airline company has appointed the man in question as a training Captain or, one supposes, perhaps and possibly, a training First Office?
Greatly appreciate the input and from whence it came and so, with best wishes and happy hunting.....cc

As a postscript, I remember Bill Kirby very well indeed, used to lecture for Aeronav at FAGM. He took over as exam examiner at DCA (as it then was, Bosman and Streuben Streets) as I again recall, from Ian Mc Glashan, an ex navigator. I remember, not recall this time, having a serious argument with Ian McG as to why we ATPL chaps had to know how to plot a damned air plot transfer. He won the slight altercation for reasons which were not clear to me at the time. It was easier just to get on and work out how to execute the transfer, and this was in the days when there were hardly any vORs in SA, just jolly old fun NDBs. But you are not likely to see their ilk again, the more is the great pity, for they were both true professionals and gentlemen, always willing to help explain the finer points of navigation when asked politely.

Last edited by cavortingcheetah; 6th Jul 2008 at 17:54.