PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 4th Jul 2008, 14:57
nich-av

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus may see record orders this year with its A320, A330 and A350XWB selling like hot chocolates.
FlyDubai is expected to place a big A320 order.

Maybe at last, an A330 or B777 order from MOL who still needs to make his TATL ops come true?

We have emerging markets in Africa, and I highly recommend pilots who don't find a job to go there and do some bush flying. There's enough jobs and they wages are very good (tax-free!)

I've planned to take about 2-3 years to achieve my goal which means that if we were in a peak now, by the time I qualify we would be in a trough. As it is, by the time I qualify (hopefully) the market would have recovered and airlines will need pilots- this is assuming that the 7 year cycle theory is correct.

I feel for people who are close to finishing especially if they've gone down the more expensive route but personally, I'm quite upbeat about a downturn.
This is very reasonable thinking.
A good pilot is always ahead of himself and the machine.

In the U.S. airlines are grounding aircraft, laying off staff. 1 year from now, they will be hiring again and new low-cost airlines will emerge from nowhere to take advantage of the weak airlines that went through the downturn.
The economy is a complicated matter and even Richard Branson could not have timed the start-up of Virgin America worse.

But hey, this ain't 9/11. The only negative in the equation are oil prices. They will last until November, at best.

10% of world's oil is burned by aircraft.(military and civil combined)
If oil stays where it is or increases futher, airlines will simply stop flying (except Emirates), people will stop driving cars.

OPEC can not afford to let that happen.