PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How secure is a new Ryanair Cadet's job?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 09:41
captainyonder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How secure is a new Ryanair Cadet's job?

I'm currently trying to decide between taking a job on a sub 10 tonne turboprop job or accepting Ryanair on the SSTR course. I have to pay for a type rating for both jobs, but Ryanair is an extra £12k risk. The money after the first six months is much more attractive at Ryanair and having a medium jet type is obviously a lot better in terms of career prospects. If I had been in this position twelve months ago I would have taken the Ryanair job without a shadow of a doubt, but with the current climate I'm trying to assess the risks and make the right decision.

In all reality how secure is a job as a new cadet at Ryanair now? Is it worth the risk? Obviously being a contractor you can be laid off at any time and I can't think of anything worse than completing line training and then being given my marching orders for just a few hundred hours on type. Is this a likely scenario in the near future, or is it worth taking the plunge safe in the knowledge that I can still look to be getting 700+ hours a year?