PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First job in Africa concerns
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 06:36
dnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only give you info on Botswana cos thats where I worked -
Converting licence is no hassle for ICAO licences, not sure about FAA but Jar is also not a problem (as if it ever would be).

Botswana doesnt have any training schedules or standards, so they cannot issue fresh comms, they just convert other country's licences.
The process is a piss easy law exam, medical and flight test. Couldnt be easier - and takes a week or two..

You get around 50hrs training in the delta before they let you loose by yourself with paying pax. If you cant get it sussed out in 50hrs then you shouldnt be there anyway.
Training is all about getting in and out of bush strips, in that most beautiful of beasts, the legendary 206.
Botswana is as flat as a pilots bank balance, so no worries about IMC flying into rocks - all flying is officially VMC but you will get clagged in from time to time.

Dont shag the locals. Aids is a big problem in Botswana.

There are about 3 islanders operating out of Maun, and a stack of vans - all single pilot ops - you can expect to get onto them after a year or so.
Some companies do ridiculously stupid bondage - something like P50 000 for two years, thats around $8000!
Others are more sensible...

any more questions im glad to help cos im bored out of my mind not flying a van around borneo.