PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NSW Police Officer Boards Plane with Gun
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 13:02
thelummox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for the popcorn, this could be a good one.............
I have a couple of thoughts- (1) it appears to be irregular that an on duty member of NSWPF, travelling to another jurisdiction would do so via a RPT flight whilst in full uniform and tooled up.....I would have though incognito is the way to go
(2) As per Keg's comment, there were a number of points at which he should have been advised that carriage on board in flight is not ok including at check in, at the gate, at the aircraft and once on board. This is the first time I've heard of this occurring, so it appears to be a systemic failure to ask a simple question - ie " Are you travelling today sir?" .

There are now so many police on airport as part of their duties the screening point is not going to stop each and every one, but there are other checkpoints for boarding pax where it should have been noted. And normally when the balloon goes up, crew are expecting the cavalry to arrive. Cops don't normally arrive unannounced at the door, it's usually in response to a incident. I just don't get the fact he boarded and no one said anything. Go figure. I guess a few different folks could be working a check in counter, station desk or answering a phone for a while to reflect on what happended! Maybe he read about what happened to poor Schapelle with those horrible baggage handlers and didn't trust putting the said lead chucker through the hold with a big identifying sticker on the bag.......

And the weapon is not unauthorised until the doors close and the A/C goes mobile! At which point, see exhibit A, the paper trail and blame game starts. I note the AFP have thrown the footy as fast as they can to avoid involvement