PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: QANTAS/ALAEA EBA
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 04:50
Konehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fail to see how an open bond on a galley unit would make it live with 115VAC.
So I've been wasting my time doing galley bonding checks all this time? Gee I wonder why Maintenance Watch schedule such a useless check? After all, the Reverend HotDog fails to see...
If that were the case and the galley properly bonded to ground, it would trip the galley power circuit breaker.
Therein lies the problem: the galley was NOT properly bonded to ground. And no it would not trip the breaker. The C/B is there to protect the aircraft wiring from a component that has shorted its power supply to ground. In this instance there was nothing internally wrong with the brewer. The poor unfortunate flight attendant simply became the path to ground for some of the current. PS it's the current that kills you, not the voltage.
So if the flight attendant in fact received a 115AC volt shock, there had to be a fault other than a missing bonding strap, or he received a static discharge shock.
These are faults we regularly check for, i.e. a galley bonding check. A high resistance to ground for certain components (ovens, brewers etc) is reported and actioned, because it has given flight attendants jolts in the past. The brewer power supply is earthed to its own frame, as well as through the same connector that delivers the power to the brewer. The brewer is then bolted to the galley structure. The same is true for the ovens. If the galley structure is not earthed to the airframe, then a voltage will exist at the brewer or oven or anything it is firmly bolted to, such as a stainless steel benchtop. The result will be, granted, an unknown difference in voltage between two galley structures - but up to 115VAC. The flight attendant bridging the two galley structures forms a circuit and voila - ZAP!