PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ctaf procedures
Thread: ctaf procedures
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2008, 02:05
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
James,

You seem to have come off whatever you were on yesterday I enjoyed your tiff with Puff.

aircraft travel at very different speeds and CTAF very different traffic volumes and types.

The 'one size fits all' CTAF hardly fits the variation.
For exactly that reason "about 10nm" doesn't fit either. It would be a simple matter to make a call 5 minutes before entry into an ATZ as Mark puts it, and in any case once you are in it then you use that freq. The old rules of 5nm/3000ft and 15nm/5000ft worked well. Simple, and everybody knew exactly what to yabba dabba on.

if the unique Australian CTAF R and Transponders in E were world's best practice - the world would be following us. They are not.
Who said they were and who said the world had to follow us? Who said we had to follow the world? Will we follow world's best practice and allow handguns in the home? You may think looking out the window of your jet dodging no-radio lighties is fun. I don't.

Clarie,
Dick Smith wanted a straight copy of the US system
Yes, he did, but without the radar, the Flight Service Units and the Follow Me girls. Fly about in the bush sometime - it's a bit different here.