PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The unspoken merits of a taildragger
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2008, 20:35
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck is correct. tailwheel pilots know what the rudder is for, and fly in a co-ordinated way that is usually demanded by tailwheel aircraft.

The types do not fly the same - not because of the U/C config, but becuase tailwheel aircraft often handle better, are less sloppy, and require accurate hand / foot co-ordination. You can probably fly a PA28 and never use the rudder! In my book, that's not an aeroplane, it's a sloppy airbourn car!

Many of today's nosewheel-trained pilots simply can't land. Watch the 'arrivals' at ant GA field - a high percentage of the spamcans will be 3-pointed, way too fast, with little or no attempt at a hold-off. All those broken nosewheels in EVERY month's AAIB reports put ALL our insurance premiums up!

When I flew the Cub, it was a joy to fly, and easy to set up for a stable approach. But I did get this feeling that when on the ground it was constantly trying to kill me.....
You should know that Cubs can only just kill you! Seriously, the Cub is a pussycat, but you do need to know how to land. What your staement says to me is that you need a bit more time in the aeroplane to become 'at home' with it. Then you will start to really enjoy it (it can put a grin on your face that no spamcan ever will)!

SSD