PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The unspoken merits of a taildragger
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2008, 12:24
Pilot DAR

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts
It has been correctly pointed out that both types fly the same, once airborne (speed aside). I agree. Using the analogy of the automatic vs standard car, however, those both drive the same once you're on the motorway, but getting on and off will build your skills faster in the standard. Once you are proficient with shifting gears, you are more aware of that aspect, and more likely to use that "control" through out your trip (correctly downshifting). I think that the same applies to the use of the rudder in flight. The taildragger helps with rudder awareness. This can be a very important safety aspect during very low speed flight, as I recently reminded the C206 pilot during my aforementioned mentoring. He had the ball all over the place during our approach to stall flying. I pointed out that if he let it stall that way, it might be an exciting ride. He just was not aware.

My inattention to the correct application of rudder has also embarassed me in a delightful tricycle type - the Islander. I suddenly learned that if you are not careful to center the pedals for a moment, when you let the nosewheel down during a crosswind landing, there can be quite a chirp and yaw!

Taildragger keeps me thinking about pedals!

Pilot DAR