PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: QANTAS/ALAEA EBA
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2008, 13:13
Layback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am Confused

Qantas is a very large successful iconic Australian company with an extremely large number of staff and a capitalisation of several billion dollars. I fully support the need to ensure that the senior management of this great company are sourced from the best management pool in the world and paid accordingly. That figure may even need to be in the millions to atract the best candidate.
I have been a LAME with Qantas for more than 20 years and fully support the current action by the ALAEA.
My confusion and anger stems from the fact that the management of this company is compared to that of other international airlines and these guys have been very successfull. Surely that cannot be denied.
However I have listened to the doom and gloom and we all have to pull our belts in sob stories from our senior management for the last 10 years and every year Qantas has achieved record profits.
During this time time the staff have rallied and agreed to pay freezes and pulled their belts in. Management have reaped the rewards of their smart management and fuel hedging and paid themselves huge bonuses. Who forgot about the staff??
Now that we have come out of the "bad" times, ( good times for anyone in their right minds ), we are really faceing a difficult time and the company cries wolf again. If the staff, and this is not just about engineering, had been shown some respect and acknowledgement of their efforts, I am sure we would not be where we are today. Am I the only one that seems to have missed the point here???
Hold firm and remain professional, don't bite when the bait is dangled and don't give them anything to hang us with.
I am proud to be a LAME and I am proud of the LAME's around me.