PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF ATC Staffing Levels
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2008, 10:54
RAAFASA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC -
they treated runway 01 and 07 changed because of an incident, they now have to be treated as crossing runways.
Good work on the explanations. Care to explain the above...Runways cross or they don't.
The flight strips of 01 and 07 cross, the actual marked runway 07 (the short one, used by BE20s and below from memory) stops just short of 01. The type of acft using 07 were able to land and hold short of 01 until cleared to cross.

As I've said before, I haven't worked TVL since the mid 90s, but back then we were able to use 01 and 07 concurrently without requiring actual LAHSO agreements. Made things easier for sequencing, but you always had to be mindful that a go 'round on 07 could conflict with 01 if the acft was unable to turn early enough. Sounds like this may have occured - hence the change on ops?

Virgin Driver, your specific comments/questions were appreciated, I passed them on to a mate in TL and I see "Goaround121" addressed them yesterday.

As to the "no more than 3 instructions", I confess I gained a newfound respect for cockpit workload during various "famil" flights (F18, DH4, S70, C130 plus C208, C152, B737, B777 and A330 - civvie rides being much easier to get pre- 9/11 of course, but the nice boys at Virgin let me in the jumpseat in 2005 into DN in a thunder storm - very impressive!)

All of the civvie flights and all but the C130 ride were done in my own time (pre-9/11 whenever I flew anywhere, I would always show my ID and ask to talk to the crew during the flight - usually ended up with an invite to stay in the jumpseat for landing, which was always interesting and took the opportunity to discuss local procedures - the DN TMP provided fodder for many a holiday flight!)

Anyway, I tend to structure the detail of my instructions depending on the cockpit (eg - multicrew vs single pilot, IFR vs VFR, local operator vs visiting lightie pilot from the bush) and stage of flight. For instance, to a multicrew acft on vectors for ILS, I have no problem issuing:

"ABC turn right heading xxx to intercept the LLZ, descend to A030 cleared ILS 01 report established" (which is technically 4 - heading, descent, cleared for final and report) because all of this is what you are expecting to hear, so shouldn't pose a problem.

To a student I would separate the instructions (intercept and report, descend and cleared) or to an acft subject to abnormal ops, visiting acft etc.

Please let me know if you disagree with this. Otherwise, I train my trainees to consider cockpit workload (ie give freq change instructions with take off clearance if possible, rather than when first airborne, or at least wait until the acft is clean; provide a "pause" if changing the acft's app intentions and do so as early as possible to give them time to find the new plate and brief appropriately (eg. ILS NA, expect TAC arrival via xxxxx)

One advantage that RAAF ATC may have is that many of our guys scrubbed out of pilots' course (some very late in the training - I know one guy who was 2 weeks off grad when he pulled the pin) before entering the glorious world of ATC. While their experience flying PC9s may not equate to driving an airbus, in all the cases I know, they show not only an awareness of what's going on in the cockpit, but also an interest in aviation generally (me, I don't read Aviation Weekly in my spare time)