PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: QANTAS/ALAEA EBA
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2008, 11:17
SLFAussie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Public Opinion

I've been watching events unfold by following this PPRuNe thread since before overtime bans started and it's been eye-opening. I've learned that what goes on in the background is very different to what CEO's present in the media.

GD looks good on TV and the general public trust that look. But he’s abstract rather than concrete when giving information, he quotes information selectively to benefit his claims and he relies on the general public only getting information about the dispute through print, television and radio media.

The union has organised the campaign really skilfully by the union and I’ve been impressed with the tactics used, but I'm worried that the ALAEA reps aren’t as slick as GD in the media. Being in front of a camera and an interviewer is hard work, and it takes training, and getting exactly what you want said into print requires major skill. But someone like Bill Shorten proves that you can look good and still be on the side of the little guy.

What I learned through PPRuNe is that:
  • The 5% is both reasonable and necessary to maintain living standards
  • The 3% was never agreed to by members
  • That GD and other senior managers have had outrageous pay increases on top of already huge salaries
  • That you've been negotiating in good faith for over 18 months, but management wont budge
  • That you're still turning up for work, you’re not on strike, it’s only stop work meetings
  • That when members stop work for only two hours the whole system falls apart. Things can't be that good at Qantas if that's all it takes.
  • That leave is being cancelled because of understaffing
  • That you’re not on a go-slow, you’re actually working like crazy, but you’re refusing overtime and taking your allowed breaks instead of working through them
  • As a result of refusing overtime you're now able to spend time with your family.
  • That ALAEA members are being docked their normal pay because they don't want to work overtime
  • That your apologies to the public are actually sincere and you never wanted it to get that way.
  • GD cares more about the shareholder than the staff or customers
I haven’t seen most of that in the media, and I’ve been looking closely.

But guys, stop using the word ‘scab’. You want to make management look threatening and unreasonable and not be accused of it yourself. Be polite but firm with your uncooperative colleagues. They might even be persuaded to your side of the argument when they see your success. But don’t forget the ones who impede your progress.

Reading PPRuNe means that I’m on your side. You do a vital job. I don't work in the airline industry, I'm just a paying customer. I want to know that any plane that I board is worked on by someone who’s worried about the plane’s condition, not whether they can afford their mortgage and petrol for the car.