PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Racetrack or another Procedure Turn
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2008, 08:12
Starbear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely an interesting one

The Jep plate probbaly gives the best clue. I would suggest that there are two published procedures here to be used in the absence of radar. One from the west which utilises the standard procedure turn as depicted in bold and the alternative via the holding pattern. It would be more common to give some text on this alternative such as distance/time to extend the outbound leg of the hold but given that there is no specified turn point or time for the primary procedure, I would say its safe to utilise the alternative via the hold, descending to 2,000ft on the outbound leg, bearing in mind its safe at 2000ft all the way from Angee to the NDB (and this track cuts straight through the holding pattern)

So back to the question: routing Angee to FPR (NDB) and enter the hold via a direct entry not below 2,000 ft (as track info from Angee). To commence the approach, when established on the outbound leg descend to 2,000ft ensuring you turn and establish final inbound within 10 nm and then when within 5 deg of inbound course you can descend to MDA. Obviously one would have to turn not only to respect the 10nm restriction but also not turn too early to ensure a stabilised descent form 2,000ft on finals.

I also like tinstaafal's suggestions and in paricular, manoeuvre (with ATC permission) at msa to track to the NDB on a course which would allow you to intercept the primary procedure from the NBD

Last edited by Starbear; 27th Jun 2008 at 10:19. Reason: correction of appalling errors thanks to Okta's observation