PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Racetrack or another Procedure Turn
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2008, 16:45
tinerrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Racetrack or another Procedure Turn

Hi guys,

I have several doubts about how to intercept the final inbound course using a racetrack and reversal procedures.
An example approach plate: NDB-A from KFPR (Fort Pierce in Florida).

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0806/05343NA.PDF

This chart have depicted a 45/180 reversal procedure and a holding pattern for the missapproach.
I hesitate what procedure should use an aircraft coming from ANGEE int (at East) direct to the IAF (the NDB).
Could the pilot, cleared for the approach, use a racetrack over the NDB to loose altitud to intercept the final inbound course, loosing altitude during the racetrack legs. For example, when the aircraf reach the NDB from ANGEE, could it make a left turn to heading 082 (direct entry on the racetrack) for the oubound racetrack leg while descend to 2000'? After this, make a left turn to intercept the final inbound course (262) and when achieve it, descent to minimums?
I guess this would be the best, economic and fast procedure to make the approach, but there's no racetrack depicted on the chart, only a reverse procedure that coming from ANGEE I find useless.
Another important question, If I can "invent" a racetrack over NDB for the reversal purpose, Could I use the time I require (for the racetrack legs) to loose the altitud smoothy?. In the inbound leg you must descend from 2000' to Minimums (640') so you should use 1:30 min legs or even 2 minutes legs on the racetrack. Could I use the racetrack I need (1, 2 o 3 minutes) for this descend (Always remaining whiting the 10 nm circle)?

Pans Ops doc 8168 claims the following:
3.2.3.2 Entry into a racetrack procedure:
Normally a racetrack procedure is used when aircraft arrive overhead the fix from various directions. In these cases,
aircraft are expected to enter the procedure in a manner similar to that prescribed for a holding procedure entry with the

following considerations:
c) all manoeuvring shall be done in so far as possible on the manoeuvring side of the inbound track

Note.— Racetrack procedures are used where sufficient distance is not available in a straight segment to
accommodate the required loss of altitude and when entry into a reversal procedure is not practical. They may also be
specified as alternatives to reversal procedures to increase operational flexibility (in this case, they are not necessarily

published separately).

Does this note mean that I can do the racetrack as I explained above, ignoring the reversal procedure depicted on the chart? or am I misunderstanding the explanation?

Anothe case: This time the aircraft is coming from South. If it want to use a racetrack it should use a parallel entry. Could you,again, fly direct to NDB, turn right this time and make a long outbound racetrack leg on heading 082?, turning right after 2 minutes to intercept the inbound course of the racetrack? I understand from the above paragraph from doc 8168:

"c) all manoeuvring shall be done in so far as possible on the manoeuvring side of the inbound track"

That you can not descend while you are outbound heading after the parallel entry, but I'm not sure if it is the meaning of that sentence. If not, Why can not descend on the outbound racetrack leg after the parallel entry?

In conclusion, Can I use a racetrack in these situations? or should I use the depicted holding over the NDB to make a outbound turn (direct or parallel entry to heading 082) proceeding and intercepting the outbound bearing form the NDB and making the reversal procedure depicted on the chart?

A lot of questions, I know, but I hope someone may help me.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by tinerrr; 26th Jun 2008 at 23:13. Reason: bad URL