PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA SSP - Qualification
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2008, 13:31
Kempus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an ex BA employee, OAT student and current FR pilot I'll add my bit!

If you go into this industry wanting to fly for only 1 airline there's a huge chance your gonna be very disappointed! Its great they pay for your type rating which is helpful when you've just shelled out close to 80K at OAT but you need to look at the bigger picture.

You will be in the left seat for at least 8yrs, you gotta remember that the retirement age has gone up and so do you think that those on a final salary pension will leave early when there isn't anything in the pension fund to give them? The seniority list is a bugger, you'll be bottom of the pile for a couple of years and thus all the crap trips and as for weekends off? goodluck!

Staff travel begins after 6 months service but bear in mind this is also based on seniority but in respect to the whole company. this means a baggage handler with more years service than you will get on a full flight before you do!

Base wise, unless you live in London, Heathrow is the bain of the industry, i'm sure you'll enjoy telling pax day in and day out that they are delayed!

Salary wise you start on 31K and you are frozen on the fleet for 5 years although you can apply to move after 3yrs! After 5 yrs you'll be on 51K in line with a DEP.

I'm not playing down BA as they a great company to get in to but dont think they are the be all and end all! We are all gonna see massive changes at BA in the next 2yrs! Alot seem to forget WW plays golf with MOL regularly!

Oh and before I get the whole I'm bitter coments about not getting an interview, I did. I also got other interviews through OAT and even in the hold pool for a major! Why FR then? Well they will still be here in 5yrs, I have a regular roster, local base, 2 weekends off a month, fly new aircraft supported by the best maintenance programme in the indusrty and to boot the best training programme which I think you'll realise when you get to that stage is one of the toughest in the industry with regards to SOP's!

Oh as a yr 1 FO i'm on 4200 sterling a month BEFORE tax so you do the math to the yearly salary!

Best of luck, I do think OAA is a great FTO and would highly recomend it although at 130 dollars a barrell go modular with them and if you still think BA pilots are the best????????? apply as a DEP in 3 years, your friends will only be 100 places up in the seniority list than you but hell your have 4 strpes and they will just be getting their 3rd!