PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF ATC Staffing Levels
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2008, 00:41
C-change

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPruner, can't shed any light on your actual arrival mate as I have never worked in DN and never wanted to either. Sorry you probably like it up Nth but its too bloody hot.
I cannot recall having these issues in an AsA controlled airport ever. It is certainly not the first time in Darwin that I have been flying a route contrary to the ATCers understanding. i.e. issued a clearance by one organisation and the other not being aware.
This sort of statement comes up every so often and its a direct result of staff stability. In ASA, some controllers have been at the same group for 15 + yrs. They almost invented the wheel at some of these groups. You can't buy that sort of experience it takes time.
The RAAFies have other ADF responsibilites on top of ATC and are required to constantly move around the country. When you get, at best, 3 yrs in a location it makes it bloody hard to obtain and keep that "corporate knowledge". I prefer to call it experience.
Your correct,the SATCO can't do a lot about overall stability, they're the local management not CDF but still call them about the above arrival. They can play back the tapes and all may learn something from it.
Please remember that person may have pulled several doggos, missed out on leave for the last few months, been thrown in the deep end etc.

You need to take things higher to the pollies if you want real change.

Track Coastal
Question...why can't Airservices staff those bases even if they stay military assets? The navaids are Airservices maintained so why not the voices on the radio?
Other than staff numbers, different ATC computer systems, security clearances, nothing at all. All of these dramas can be overcome. Defence has APS working in every area of Defence including ATC. What stops it from happening is a failure of both organisations to recognise each others ATC Qual's, (happening very slowly) and people not wanting to let go of their power. Some have built career's out of the current structure.
This type of agreement was attempted with project Genesis but failed for a whole number of reasons, one being, the current APS staff at the southern bases could not be garunteed from being made redundant if ASA was to take over, how silly is that. ASA wanted to pick and choose who they wanted.
It will only ever change from the current system if it is directed from the ministers.

I personally don't think it will ever happen which is a shame. With a bit of lateral thinking everyones aims could be acheived, staff could stay put and gain some experience and the end users would get a better service.

But the way fuel prices are heading, we could all be looking for other jobs soon anyway.