PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF ATC Staffing Levels
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2008, 23:46
scran
Music Quizmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question scran...when you got promoted in the early 90s how many WGCDR slots were there (and there was 1 GPCAPT) then? How many WGCDRs and GPCAPTs now (post 44/41WG and 'going green')?

Well, for "ATC" WGCDR positions (CE positions that had to be a ATC officer) I think it was 4 - COSATC, HQ Air Command (the old CATCO position), DD-ATS in Russell (Deputy Director within AFHQ) and the DD-Airspace Design/Defence Liaison Officer position at ASA in Canberra.

Mind you, Myself and Shartz promoted the same year (1995 promotion list) made it about 6 or 7 wearing the rank as against the 4 CE positions. Now, 41WG (as we were part of then) stood up around 1994 or so didn't it (I am 1 of only 2 ATC's that I know who NEVER served in either 41 or 44WG)? Part of the transition was creating the WGCDR Position at Willy, but there was a 2 year or so retention of the HQAC slot for some reason. Anyway - there was NO GPCAPT position for ATC (it was a general list position - OC41WG) with the first OC41WG being an Air Defence Officer, then we had two or three pilots (including the recently departed DCAF) as the OC - it wasn't till 44WG stood up that there was any "slot" for an ATC GPCAPT (and then I assume it would be in competition - if no-one was considered suitable for promotion they would have used a NAV or PLT to fill it) - around 1998/99 or so I think.

The other part, lets see - its about 1 GPCAPT & 7 WGCDR isn't it?

GPCAPT - OC 44WG

WGCDR - COSATC, XO 44, SATCO DAR, SATCO TVL, DD-ATS, DD-ATM/JCAM1 and uummm....

Remember - I ain't spoke to a live aircraft since I finished at SATCO PEA 1992........