PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low level fast jets over Silverstone 25/6
Old 25th Jun 2008, 16:18
Fg Off Max Stout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phil,

I would tend to agree with your last paragraph (hopefully without appearing too arrogant, unhelpful or bringing the forces into disrepute). The reason I jumped on my high-horse was simply that in recent years where a conflict of interest has arisen between military aviation and the general public, the compromise has been on one side only! I would never say that the likes of Heather Bell deserve what they get, but they must take some personal responsibility for their own safety and risk, rather than simply blaming military aviation. I still see riders without helmets, without the MoD funded high-viz vests, and presumably without having called the MoD low flying hotline, and yet the complaints still roll in.

if ... you are breaking the rules, perhaps it's best not to write in books about gleefully doing exactly that
Some of the examples of RAF 'high spirits' in decades gone by are truly hair raising, but have been in steady decline since the end of WW2. These days there is no tolerance for such antics in civil or military aviation. Pablo may have said 'bugger the rules' on many occasions but look where he ended up. Regardless of your thoughts about the final incident, he stepped outside the rulebook and got his arse chewed for it.

Pablo

Professional aviation these days is very 'professional', and what the general public may perceive to be dangerous is most often absolutely safe.